Wednesday, July 7, 2010

July 7: Dollars, Diets, and Doldrums

Well, yesterday was definitely rougher, diet-wise, than today.  Not by much but I felt a little more energetic today, at least.

The stress of being broke is starting to really get to me.  You know how sometimes you can slide by without enough money for a long time, and then suddenly your precarious house of financial cards begins to shake, and one by one, they all come fluttering down? 

Every day this week, I have come home to one, if not two, items that must immediately be paid or terrible consequences will occur.  It's really starting to wear on me.  Today I came home, feeling fairly pumped to go to the gym and get a half an hour of weights in, and found two messages of impending financial doom.  Now, I just feel like sitting here like a big slug.  I'm hungry, I'm cranky and I make minimum wage.  Sigh.

Something is going to have to give.  I need to take a long hard look at the budget, but it's hard to make a budget when your income doesn't pay for your necessities.  Okay. Whinefest is over.  We will now resume our regularly scheduled blogging.

Stress has such an effect on dieting, especially super-strict dieting like I'm doing right now.  At least I no longer have the urge to drown my sorrows in cheeseburgers, because that would be even worse.  But all of the less than pleasant side effects of adjusting to this diet seem to be multiplied.  I feel shaky.  Is that from anxiety or from lack of carbs?  I have a headache.  Is that financially related or is it a side effect of being effing hungry?  I can't concentrate.  Is that because my brain is whirling around in my head, hoping to randomly land on an answer, or is it because I'd really like to have a donut and a bowl of mashed potatoes?

Okay, I guess the Whinefest had that one little encore presentation.

Eats have been a lot easier to figure out this time around because I'm just repeating previous meal plans.

meal one: egg white omelet, veggies, tiny amount of shredded cheddar
meal two: tuna, fat free mayo, and veggies; or leftovers
meal three: chicken concoction with veggies
meal four: protein float

I have to confess, that Diet Root Beer protein float is the highlight of my day right now!



To paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara, I'll think about the rest of it tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you are going through this stress - it's awful. All I can really say is that I hope it's temporary, I used to be in what seems like a really similar situation and it was so hard to not just go to McDonald's every night for something easy and cheap. It's not just the money but it sucks the energy and good intenion out of you some days. I hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete