Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dec. 26: Tons of Turkey!



Today my kitchen has been a turkey processing plant.  (Not in the yucky chemical way, of course!)

First, I sliced the remaining turkey breast and bagged up meal sized portions for the freezer.  I took the remaining dark meat and carcass and portioned it out between my two stockpots and my crock pot.  In each pot I added fresh whole cloves of garlic, a whole onion, a handful of carrots and a handful of spinach, as well as sea salt.  Then I covered the contents with water and simmered for 8 hours.  I was left with enough flavorful stock for 3 large pots of soup and 4 one-cup servings for cooking rice.  Then I removed the dark meat from the bones (an easy task after simmering for that long) and bagged up three 1.5 cup servings of the meat to add when I make soup.

I don't usually make a whole turkey but this has been a learning experience.  Leftover queen that I am, it thrills me to have such a full freezer!  I got the 17 pound turkey from my workplace. 

So what am I going to do with all that turkey? 

Top 10 things to do with Turkey
~ turkey noodle soup ~
~ turkey sandwiches ~
~ turkey Caesar salad ~
~ BBQ pulled turkey ~
~ smoked turkey and bean soup ~
~ turkey salad sandwiches ~
~ turkey fajitas ~
~ turkey stroganoff ~
~ turkey "fried" rice ~
~ turkey tetrazzini ~

I bet you can guess the basis for this week's meal plan!



Sunday: Turkey Caesar Salad
Monday: Turkey "Fried" Rice with Steamed Broccoli
Tuesday: Broccoli Soup (I might need a break from all that turkey!)
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Grilled chicken pizza with the kiddos
Friday:  New Year's Eve party

I'm kidless today and tomorrow - the girls have gone to their grandparent's house until Thursday.  I got up and went to the early church service and then did what little grocery shopping was needed this week.  I then packaged up all that turkey and managed to shove it into my thoroughly stuffed freezer and fridge, and the rest of the day will be spent purging and organizing.  (God bless the Flylady!)

I started a new blog today chronicling my financial issues.  Don't worry, it won't be as dismal as it sounds! There may be some cross-over, but anyone that is having, or has had, financial problems may be able to relate as I try to dig myself out of the hole and hide out from bill collection terrorists.  Check me out at Life in a Pinch.

I hope everyone continues to have a wonderful holiday weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment