Thursday, October 14, 2010

Oct 14: How Did My Challenging Day Go?


Does that sum it up?

Sigh.......

I really thought about not blogging tonight.  I bandied about the idea of skipping over today's foodfest and changing the subject in a couple of days when I wrote again.

But I couldn't do it.  Denying it doesn't make it go away.  Not telling anyone that I ate tons of junk food and made poor choices does not make the choices less poor.

When a calorie doesn't get counted and tracked, it's still a calorie.  Unfortunately, calories are not like those stupid trees that fall in the forest with no one around to hear them.

So, to make a long story short, we'll just go with "totals".

My day consisted of a breakfast meeting and two buffets.  Let's just say, my choices were not stellar.

Breakfast Meeting: 597
Lunch Buffet (Pizza): 1160
Dinner Buffet (Chinese): 897

Bringing us to a grand total of...........

Calories: 2654
Carbs: 312
Fat: 103
Protein: 123

Gulp.

It looks pretty dirty all written out like that.  And the even worse thought is that, since I don't hit buffets with my trusty scale, I'm guessing at the actual servings.

Am I going to dress in sack cloth and roll around in ashes?  Am I going to starve myself for the next two days to make up for it?  Perhaps I could only have vegetables in water for the rest of the week to pay penance for my nutritional sins.

Nope.

As disappointed as I am in my choices, I'm simply going to do better tomorrow.  I'm going to write off today and I'm going to move on with my nutritional plan and make tomorrow go without a hitch.  Why?  Because I've spent too many years yo yo dieting and watching the scale go up and down.  Mistakes happen.  Punishing myself won't make them not happen again.  That will just make me say "F$#* it" and quit altogether.  Starving myself will just make me go on another food bender.  But nourishing myself with good food will make me feel good and I will want to keep that sense of wellness going.

Tomorrow's plan:

My regular first two meals
Salad with grilled chicken for lunch (with lots of yummy veggies)
Homemade chili for supper (cooked in the crockpot)

The crockpot will allow no margin for error with dinner.  It will be sitting there ready, smelling delicious, so that there will be no ordering pizza, no "too tired to make dinner", no excuses period.  I do okay sticking with meals during the day because I take it with me and that's all there is to eat.

So there we have it.  The long and the short.  The good and the bad. The way to make it better.

Don't think I'm letting myself "off the hook".  I'm not pleased with the decisions I made but there's no umaking them now.  I'm moving on and starting again the next meal because that's all you can do.

Self-flagellation only goes over well in monasteries.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have the right attitude. You can't undo it..but you're one meal away from being back on plan. You're in it for the long haul. You're bound to make a poor choice now and then. what's important is that you don't toss the whole thing because of one mess up.

    Moving on!

    ReplyDelete