Sunday, June 6, 2010

June 6: A Much Better Refeed



I got lots of great advice after my Refeed That Ate the World last week.  And like a wise dieter, I followed that advice. 

If you haven't been following along for my entire RFL diet, I'll give you a quick definition of refeeds.  A refeed is a period of time (for me it is 5 hours) in which you consume a large quantity of carbohydrates, regular intake of protein and fairly low fat.  The reason for this is that during a very strict diet like RFL, your leptin levels drop, wreaking havoc on your metabolism.  So basically, you are "resetting" the hormones that control your metabolism.  That is really oversimplified, and possibly a little bit incorrect, but it's my understanding of the process.  The Rapid Fat Loss diet I am following can be found here.

Tonight I made a tray of baked ziti.  I made a low fat healthy version that included fat free cottage cheese, fresh tomatoes, zucchini, mushroom, spinach, ground turkey and whole wheat pasta.  It was delicious.  To up my carb count I made homemade garlic bread, fairly light on the butter.  And later this evening, I'm having a serving of low fat frozen yogurt topped with fresh blackberries.  

It feels like a splurge, especially when my normal diet no longer includes sweets or carbs.  It's actually kind of decadent to eat them from time to time.  I feel a bit overly full, but I don't have a stomach ache like last time.  Best of all, I don't feel the guilt I felt last time.  On my last refeed, it was really more like a binge, a scary behavior I no longer indulge in.

I expect no ill effects tomorrow from the refeed.  I think the lower sugar content will help with the cravings I always have the day after.  It would really suck to start my new job and change of lifestyle while dealing with carb cravings! 

Tomorrow is Day 1 of Real World RFL.  Stay tuned...........

No comments:

Post a Comment