Monday, May 31, 2010

May 31: The Refeed That Ate the World


See Godzilla? This was me today, and that train?  That would be the sugar train that I got on.

It all started when I didn't eat breakfast.

I wasn't feeling the best and considered skipping my refeed for today, then I decided to go for it.  The problem with that? A complete lack of planning.

What was supposed to be an organized refeed basically felt like a binge.  I was supposed to consume, in a five hour span, 177 grams of carbohydrates while keeping the fat under 50 grams. (These numbers are based on my lean body mass).

1.) My five hours turned into six, because I simply couldn't eat that much food in that span of time. 
2.) I ate basically nothing but sugar and a cheeseburger.
3.) I was 8 grams short on carbs.
4.) I was 21 grams high on fats.

I ate:
A cheeseburger
A cupcake
A cup and a half of ice cream
A protein shake made with milk
A whipped cream filled donut

I don't think that is what the author of RFL had in mind when he recommended carb loading.

Let's face it, I'm a perfectionist.  I get very upset with myself when I do things less than perfectly.  (Well, not everything but important things - otherwise I'd be upset an awful lot!)  I wasn't even going to write about this fiasco, and then I realized, everybody screws up and when i started this blog I promised the good, bad and ugly.

Today was ugly.

If I write the kind of blog where everything is perfect all the time, it's not believable nor is it very inspirational.  Who can relate to a dietary saint?  While I am pretty strict, I screw up, and this is your hard, cold, low-carb, high-fat evidence of that fact.

Here's the thing.  This could be a setback.  I'm not eating such low calories for 6 weeks of my life because it's fun.  But I'm not going to quit.  Giving up is not going to get me to my goal but persevering will.

I've said it a million times and I want you to tattoo it to your eyelids if you need to.  If you are what you eat, you have another chance to get things right the very next meal.  That means, three or four or five times a day, however many times you eat, you get a do-over.  And if more of those do-overs go right than wrong, YOU WILL EVENTUALLY REACH YOUR GOAL.

So I'm calling an end to this day, and starting fresh with my egg whites tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree!! And it's only a very, very recent realization for me that I can start over, and that just because I messed up in the morning it doesn't mean it's ok to eat horribly the rest of the day - it just means I will feel doubly bad.

    ReplyDelete