Wednesday, May 19, 2010

May 19: RFL Day 8

I hereby proclaim cauliflower the new rice.

If you chop it finely and steam it lightly, leaving a little texture, it is somewhat reminiscent of rice in texture, and it absorbs the flavors of the seasonings well.  Instead of steaming it with water I splashed a tiny bit of chicken broth in the bowl. It got me through a big carb craving this afternoon.

Today was a big Spring Cleaning day, so I worked until I was just exhausted.  A friend was here helping so I served her a nice carby lunch, leftovers from my kid's dinner last night.  It smelled so darn good that I was dying for something carb-ish, so I tried this little cauliflower/rice trick for supper.  I managed to hold off the craving until then.

Breakfast was nothing unusual: an egg white omelet (shock!) with mushrooms and a sprinkle of cheddar.




For lunch I had a big bowl of steamed broccoli and some grilled chicken. I was pleased that I managed to eat that while I served a yummy soup with homemade tortilla strips to my guest and my little girl. I was a rock!




By supper time, the carb craving was getting to me.  I prepared the cauliflower as described above and mixed it with diced cooked chicken.  Dinner was on the run tonight, which is why it's featured in Tupperware.  I was babysitting for my friend's newborn and 18 month old. I got lots of cuddles.



And finally, when I got home around 11, I realized I was short on protein, so I am sipping a yummy Orange Crush protein float while I update my blog.



I'm not sure if I have posted instructions for this before.  If I'm repeating myself I'm sorry - half asleep!

Protein Float

1 can of diet soda of choice
(I've used red cream soda, Orange Crush, and root beer)
1 serving of vanilla protein powder
ice


Pour a third of the can of soda into a blender. 
Add the protein powder and blend well.
Add ice and process until crushed.
Add the rest of the can of soda and blend for 5 seconds.

Very refreshing low carb treat!  The nutritional info is only that of your scoop of protein powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment