Monday, February 1, 2010

Feb. 1: Einstein's Definition of Insanity

More crazy quotes from Daisy. I LOVE this one by Albert Einstein:

INSANITY: DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS.

This post is for those of us who might be on a plateau, have the scales going opposite of the desired direction, or find their progress occurring slower than expected. If you keep doing the same thing, you have to expect the same results!

If things aren't going the way you want them to, then you have to shake it up. Examine what you have been doing and be critical. You may find you were slacking on a particular macronutrient. You may find you aren't giving your all to your workouts. You may find you have been doing absolutely nothing technically "wrong" but you just aren't reaching your goals.

Here are a few ways to shake things up:

1.) Change your ratio of macronutrients. Some people go for a 33/33/33 split between protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Others are 40/40/20. Play around with it and make a change from what you have been doing. Different bodies respond to different things. It could be a hormonal issue, an exercise issue - any number of things. Don't be afraid to shake things up with your diet! Give it at least 2 weeks to see if your change is working.

2.) Shake up your workout! I have been plodding along for the last month, putting in my time on the bike/ elliptical like it is a prison sentence. This is NOT getting me anywhere. So today I began a new program of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). I am also doing push ups and crunches in a quick secondary workout. I am worth 30 full minutes a day of intense effort! Consider adding HIIT to your cardio routine, join a group class, get a new DVD for a type of exercise you have never tried before, or add heavy weights to your routine.

3.) Greatly increase your water consumption. Figure out how much water you are consuming on an average day. If it is reasonable, then add a liter. (That is one of my goals for the month.)

4.) Examine the previous month and see where your planning could have been better. Then instantly resolve to find a solution for the future. My example of this was my doctor's appointment. I have resolved not to leave the house even for an hour without one more water bottle and snack than I expect to need.

5.) Research! Read everything you can get your hands on about successful people. See what they are doing that is different from what you are doing. Try one of their tips for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference for you.

6.) Create a vision board! How can you get to where you want to be without having a clear picture of where that is? I am working on two vision boards for myself: one is professional and the other is health and fitness related. Paste on workouts, bodies that correspond with your goals and favorite healthy foods. Maybe add some vacation brochures and rewards you plan to give yourself, as well as some photos of goal outfits you want to wear. I'll post my boards when they are finished.

I hope this has given you some ideas on some ways to shake things up this month. Personally, I plan to ROCK February!

No comments:

Post a Comment