Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Dec. 9, 2009 - Clean Eating Dollars & "Sense"

Have you ever noticed how, when you get one aspect of your life under control, that the others seem to fall into line also?

This morning, gasping for air on the couch after my workout, I was thinking about money. It triggered the urge to see what I was spending on fast food, candy and pop last month. Are you sitting down? $365 !!!! And that is just the amount I can track via my bank card. I know for a fact there were some Tim Horton's trips in which I paid cash for my fat and sugar laden iced cappuccino and pecan danish! I am guessing that the actual total is upwards of $400!

Many people are concerned with the cost involved in a Clean Eating lifestyle. However, if you have bad habits that are anything like mine were, you may find that purchasing organic and wholesome foods works out to actually be cheaper. Now my only food bill is groceries, not numerous stops for fast foods, iced coffees and soda pop. I am still in the initial stages of building my pantry, and I believe in a month or so, when I am simply replenishing every week, that the weekly grocery tab will drop dramatically.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The food plan for today:
M1: WW Ciabbatta toast with natural peanut butter, small apple
M2: Clean guacamole (recipe below) with baked corn tortillas
M3: Chicken and green bean stir fry over small serving of quinoa pilaf
M4: Plain nonfat yogurt with applesauce and cinnamon
M5: (FEAST!!!) Clean marinara sauce, turkey and spinach meatballs, and whole grain pasta (1/2 cup of pasta, going heavy on the sauce)
I doubt after that heavenly dinner that I will want or need M6.
Clean Guacamole: (makes 2 servings)
1 ripe avocado
1/4 cup of finely diced onion, bell pepper and tomato
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbs of jalapeno relish or very finely diced jalapenos
Pinch of sea salt to taste
1/4 cup of plain, non fat yogurt
Mash the avocado in a non-stainless steel bowl with a fork. Add the other ingredients and mix.
If you don't like spicy food, leave out the jalapenos.
I use this instead of sour cream on tacos, etc. It also makes a nice spread for sandwiches and wraps or a nice dressing for a taco salad.
I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment