Friday, August 13, 2010

Aug. 13: Recipe Friday!

Friday sounds like a great day to brighten things up with some new recipes.  I really like EASY foods that are wholesome and nutritious but satisfy wicked cravings for things like chicken wings and nachos and other foods I don't want to regularly indulge in.





BUFFALO CHICKEN SALAD

Buffalo Chicken Breast:
1 serving of grilled or baked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
Frank's Red Hot sauce, to taste
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp low carb BBQ sauce of choice

Salad:
1 cup fresh baby spinach
shredded carrots and celery
cherry tomatoes
1-2 tbsp freshly crumbled bleu cheese
2 tbsp fat free Ranch dressing


1.) In a large plastic food storage container with a lid, combine Frank's, honey and BBQ sauce with a fork until well mixed.
2.)  Add chicken breast, put the lid on and shake vigorously to coat with the sauce.
3.) Meanwhile, make the salad by layering spinach, carrots, celery and tomato.
4.) Top the salad with yummy sauce covered chicken, sprinkle with blue cheese, and toss with fat free Ranch dressing.

(Note:  When I am making this for myself, I just dump the salad fixings on top of the chicken in the storage container, add dressing, put the lid back on and shake again.  It's not the most beautiful presentation, but you can always light a candle and put it on a plate if you're into that!)


YOGURT YUMMINESS
(This is my favorite too-lazy-to-make-anything-but-I-know-I-need-to-eat meal.  I have it numerous times a week and also use it for an on-the-go meal in my cooler bag when I don't have leftovers I want to take.)

3/4 cup non-fat yogurt of choice ( I usually use Greek or organic vanilla)
1 serving of vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup of in-season or frozen fruit
1/4 cup Kashi cereal or other healthy granola

1.) In a serving container, mix the protein powder with the yogurt, using a fork to blend well.  You will get a pudding-like consistency.
2.) Top with fruit and granola - that's it!

(Note: as a to-go meal, take the granola separately and add just before eating.  Also, the consistency of the yogurt thins down a bit as it sits, so if you are like me, consider a bib!)

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment