Thursday, August 12, 2010

Aug 12: Curses, Foiled Again!


Today I discovered a special, particularly intense form of torture.  Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Okay, I'll give you the good news.  I was fortunate enough to get a freelance gig editing a cookbook!  Woohoo!  Hooray on the career front - what a thoroughly pleasant way to spend a day.  I spoke to intelligent people, got to read all day long surrounded by other people reading and working quietly on their computers.  It was work in the industry I am trying really hard to break into.  How awesome is that?  I'll answer for you - pretty darned awesome.

The bad news - I didn't take enough food.  I ate breakfast in the car and brought a great, filling meal with me.  Unfortunately, I ate that meal at 11 am and didn't leave until after 5.  Add to that looking at stunning photographs of luscious-looking food, reading the decadent descriptions and scanning the recipe for errors.

This, my friends, was a special level of hell.  I was really hungry - like the light-headed kind of hungry - and I was reading about things I would absolutely love to eat at that very second.  Because things got off to a late start this morning, if I had left to get something to eat, I wouldn't have had time to finish the assignment  So I sucked it up and got the job done.  I did have some Diet Coke, which is my own personal form of crack right now, but I survived and even made pleasant, somewhat coherent conversation.

Despite the hunger pangs, it was the best day at work ever - I so hope that this is a step in the right direction for my career!

Now for the really bad news.  I was driving home, and of course, I was stuck in traffic.  I knew after creeping along for twenty minutes that there was no way I'd make it home in an hour to have the healthy meal I had prepared there, so I crossed three honking, angry lanes of traffic because I saw a Wendy's sign.  I didn't just cave a little and make healthy choices. 

Oh no.



You know me.  Go hard or go home.  I shoulda gone home.

In my defense, I immediately threw away half of the fries.  And I had a Fresca (0 calorie drink!!!)

I'm guessing that doesn't really make up for the DOUBLE cheeseburger, though, huh.


So........

Today's Eats:

m1: whole grain organic English muffin, dried cranberries, natural peanut butter, and skim milk
m2: Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, a ton of blueberries, and Kashi cereal
m3: Wendy's double cheeseburger, half an order of fries
(See - even the font is blushing.)

Well, I made it a whole two and a half days before caving, but at least I didn't have sugar. Tomorrow is a fresh start, just like always.

The beautiful thing about going off your plan is going right back on it.  When you go right back on it, you've had a minor "blip".  When you get yourself into trouble, when you fail is when you say, "Well, I already blew it with that cheeseburger, I might as well have some ice cream now!"  When you say that, it is a greasy slide to chub, my friends.  We always have another chance to get things right the very next meal.

How am I rebounding from this "blip"?  A nice walk with the dog and great eats tomorrow.  I concocted an idea in my head on the drive home today - so we will see if it's as good in reality as it was in my brain!  Look for recipes - at least one - tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. It's tough when you are working and busy. I have been there so many times myself, friend. They say planning is the key, but planning is no help if you can't get home to eat your healthy pre-prepared meal! Been there!

    So glad you are not using this an excuse to have that ice cream or that bucket of chips and descend into crazy eating all weekend...i've been there too, plenty!

    My only advice to you would be stock up on snacks. I take homemade air popped popcorn , dried figs and almonds to work with me, along with my packed lunch and fresh fruit. I am now doing most of my eating during the day, which is a great improvement for me, as i was always a night-time binger.

    You have got such a great attitude- keep up the good work!!

    Congrats on the job too!!

    xx
    lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that isn't a perfect gig, I don't know what is. I'm so excited for you! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete