Saturday, April 10, 2010

April 10: The Tree of Will

You know where magic comes from?  It comes from your will to achieve.  It comes from some place deep inside that goes untapped in lots of people.  With the right sense of determination, you can make anything happen.

I'm going to post a picture of my favorite tree.  I call her the Tree of Will.  (I refer to the tree as female for whatever reason).  She rests along the trail that I take my daily dog walks on.  Last winter we had a storm with very high winds and lots of trees got blown over into the river.  They all died, except this one tree that had something special: determination and the will to live.


Notice how she is completely uprooted and half submerged in the river.  And yet, she is budding out with leaves like she is still standing proudly at the side of the river.  She didn't give up when her roots got yanked up.  She pulled some kind of magic trick of will and BLOOMED.  She said to herself, "It's Spring, dammit, and I am going to bloom just like I always have, despite these unpleasant circumstances."

There's a lesson here.  This tree gives me a daily dose of inspiration that I wanted to share with you.  When we meet adversity do we grit our teeth and just bloom anyway, or do we accept that adversity as an excuse to achieve less than our potential?

I've been guilty of that, and I'm sure the rest of you have too.  It's interesting to look back at my life and wonder what unexplored roads I would have taken if I had the determination of this tree. 

With my weight-loss plan, I do.  I'm not going to let the slow weight loss get in my way.  I'm not going to let the fact that my new medication is not "weight neutral" affect my outcome.  I'm just going to plug away at it, and however long it takes, it takes.  I'll do everything humanly possible to make it happen as efficiently as possible.  I'll continue to study and learn.  I may get frustrated.  I may have a little hissy fit here and there.

But be assured, in the end, I WILL BLOOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment