Sunday, January 3, 2010

Jan. 3 - Clean "Junk"

I knew the day would come and today it did. We were out today and the plan was to go out to lunch. We were visiting a friend in the hospital and we were planning to stop near the hospital to grab a bite to eat. There was absolutely nothing around so we ended up heading home. During our drive home, the snowfall turned into a blizzard and there was no way I was driving anywhere but home. My oldest proceeded to get upset because I was "depriving" her from junk. She said, "I'm a kid!!! Kids eat junk!"

So I've put on my mom thinking hat and I'm coming up with some more clean food that will pass as junk. Here are some of the things I have come up with so fa:

PAPER BAG POPCORN
How about the ease of microwave popcorn without the chemistry project? All you need is a brown paper bag, 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels, some sea salt and some olive oil. Put the kernels in your bag and roll the top over twice, leaving plenty of room for your kernels to pop. Put this in the microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes. When it's done add a splash of olive oil and sea salt to taste, close the bag and shake it to mix it up. POOF! Truly healthy microwave popcorn.
^ this recipe is thanks to "Natmo", a wonderful member of the toscareno.com forum.^
MEATBALL SUBS
Clean meatballs
Clean marinara sauce
2 cloves of roasted garlic
olive oil
low fat mozzarella or Parmesan
Clean bun
Heat up meatballs of your choice in marinara sauce - careful not to use too much sauce or the sandwiches will be too messy to eat. Slice the buns in half and brush or spray with olive oil. Spread roasted garlic on the buns. Toast these in the oven, then top with meatballs, sauce and cheese. Return to the oven until cheese is melted. I eat these sandwiches open-faced with a knife and fork. (only 1/2 a bun that way). You can also top them with onions and peppers.
BEAN DIP
Can of low-fat refried beans (check ingredients to make sure they're clean - we use President's Choice brand)
Shredded low fat cheese
Clean taco sauce or salsa
(I make this dip in a loaf pan - it's the perfect size)
Spread the beans in the pan. Top with salsa, then cheese. Bake at 350 until hot and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve with multigrain or other clean tortilla chips, or pita chips. Leftovers are great as burrito or pita filling.
I know these are not fancy cooking. They barely qualify as cooking - more as putting stuff together. I'm working on some other ideas that I will share with you after some experimentation. I want my kids to enjoy eating clean, not to feel deprived.
I felt a sense of urgency today, even though DD was just sulking because she wanted to eat out. The surest way to make this change fail is for the kids to feel like they are getting "ripped off." I feel so strongly about this way of life - I'm going to work as hard as I can to make it work for all of us.
Eats were a little weird today, what with being stuck in the car in a blizzard for 3 hours! Here they are:
M1: whole wheat toast w/ natural pb, apple
M2: Trail mix
M3: Bean dip and multigrain chips
M4: Open faced meatball sub
M5: Fruit
So, low on the fruits and veggies but nothing bad here!

No comments:

Post a Comment