Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jan. 5 - Toxin of the Day: Trisodium Phosphate

I'd like to introduce a new feature on my blog, The Toxin of the Day! Food companies are doing North America a huge disservice by legally introducing poisons into the food we feed our children and consume each day.

Consider preservatives for a moment. How do you think they preserve food? They preserve food by making it inhospitable to mold and bacteria. Basically, most of them are nothing but minute doses of pesticides. If they are toxic to bacteria, how do you think that they relate to our bodies? People walk around feeling sick and exhausted all of the time, and I firmly believe it is because of the constant influx of toxins we are voluntarily consuming.

Today's lucky winner is Trisodium Phosphate. Sodium phosphates are used as an emulsifier - that means they blend foods that would not normally stay blended. They are commonly found in processed cheeses, processed meats, and canned soups. It can also be used as a leavening agent in batter or commercial cakes.

Now the fun part: let's see what else Trisodium Phosphate is used for and decide whether or not we want to eat it!

The primary use for this chemical is in cleaning products. Particularly, it is the active ingredient in many toilet bowl cleaners. These cleaners carry the warning:

MAY DAMAGE GROUT AND CORRODE METAL. USE GLOVES WHILE HANDLING THIS PRODUCT.......

The Clean Water Act has taken steps to limit use of this product in cleaning supplies because of the damage it causes to the environment. They have great ecological concerns about this chemical being introduced into our water supply. The FDA, however, still deems this safe to eat.

I don't know about you, but I have no interest in feeding myself or my family any food that contains this product.

PLEASE READ YOUR LABELS!!! If you can't picture in your head the source of the ingredient, you probably don't want to eat it.

I'll be back later to talk about today's food.

2 comments:

  1. Oh.. Toxin of the day is my favorite... This was very informational and I was in shock and grossed out by it... I won't be eating it.. I love your blog and photos.. your dinner last night looked yummy too...great job.. you continue to inspire me each day.. lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa - I'm so glad you like it - just wait -I have some really yucky stuff up my sleeve!

    ***evil laugh***

    Daisy

    ReplyDelete