Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mar. 25: Food vs. Mood - Another Funk

Boo to funks. I'm having another one. It's been a really rough day today.

I'm actually writing this post to inform, rather than whine, however.

For the past couple of days, my eats have been really off. I've been out shopping with my friend and my lunch choices could have been far better. I wasn't too worried because I stayed within my desired caloric ranges and the macros weren't terrible. However, last night, I started feeling really anxious. I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep, so of course, this morning, I had a lot of trouble getting up. I really only made it as far as the couch. I did manage to force myself to go for a 45 minute walk, which helped some. However, I'm now back on the couch and pretty darned mopey and lethargic.

I've had this happen before. I went through my personal journal and looked over the past 4 months. I want to know WHY!!! My out-of-the-blue funks all seem to be triggered by eating crappy food that I did not prepare myself. It isn't guilt. It isn't something that I'm creating as a reason for my personal brand of picky. It is a realistic link between what I eat and how I feel.

I've narrowed down the culprits to: Calcium Proprianate, MSG, and/or Refined Sugar. I really lean more towards the CP, since I do have things with just a touch of sugar from time to time with no ill effects, and the issue tends to occur when bread products are involved.

So if I know this triggers depression, why do I continue to do it? I could have just as easily tossed the bun that came with my hamburger and been sufficiently satisfied with the food I ate. I really must make the decision to avoid processed bread products in the future so I can truly narrow this down. If I still have the issues, I can research the other potential triggers. I eat that stuff so rarely that I often forget when faced with the options of what to eat at a fast food place. I realized today it's been over a month since I've had a burger that care from anywhere but my own kitchen.

I could keep going back to the doctor every time I feel like this and get my antidepressants increased, but that won't get to the root of the problem. I definitely have some issues with depression and need to be on meds right now, but perhaps that propensity towards depression makes me even more susceptible to the chemicals in foods.

As for me, I'm even more convinced that whole foods are a necessity in my life, and hope that others dealing with similar issues can find links between their food and their mood.

Question for my readers: Have any of you noticed a particular food triggering mood issues? If so, what food is it? I'd love to hear about your experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment