Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Jan.27 ~ Cheat Meal

I had an unplanned cheat today, and I realized how much I THINK about my food now. Here are the differences:

I had a cheeseburger and french fries today. It is not a healthy meal by any stretch. BUT....

~ I chose a burger that was 100% Angus beef
~ I chose a whole wheat bun.
~ I went to a place that makes their fries from actual potatoes
~ I had every vegetable in the place piled onto my burger
~ Before I even sat down at the table, I threw away half of the French fries.

Before I would have put little or no thought into what I got. Consider the ingredients in these popular French fries.

McPopular fries: potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soy bean oil, safflower oil, natural flavors, dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate, citric acid, dimethylpolysiloxane,.

Then these tasty creations are cooked in: canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soy bean oil with THBQ, citric acid and dimethlypolysiloxane.

And then we douse them in salt. Lots and lots of salt.


I believe those might survive a nuclear war.... I think there was something about that in a certain documentary.

So by no means clean was today's cheat meal, but I didn't feel like I poured a ton of chemicals into my body. Just too much fat and sodium. I realize the ability to "unclench" (as my teenager so delicately puts it) from time to time is vital to my long term success.

No comments:

Post a Comment