Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jan. 17: A Rant About Excuses

I have to preface my rant with saying that I used to have a million and one excuses as to why I was heavy. I could still come up with a whole new pile. But what I have discovered on my journey thus far is that if we make excuses for ourselves, we will never succeed. You have to just take it to the mat every single day. Anytime you are successfully and obviously losing weight, people have a million questions. I've noticed they only seem to want the answers so that they can tell you how your plan does not work for them. Some recent examples:

Q: Wow, you've lost a lot of weight - what are you doing?
A: I'm doing the Eat-Clean plan. I don't eat processed foods at all - no chemicals, nothing artificial. If you are interested I could recommend some great books by Tosca Reno .
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1552100677/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=485327511&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1552100383&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_r=105YEXFFHMAB639X8QGJ
E: Oh, I don't have time for something like that right now, but you keep up the good work

Q: How do you eat out?
A: I don't, really. I can't know what is in the food served at restaurants and fast food does not fit in with my goals.
E: Oh, I don't have time to cook every day

Q: How do you find the time to make everything from scratch?
A: I prep most of my food for the week on the weekends - it never takes me more than 20 minutes to get a great dinner on the table during the week
E: My family won't eat leftovers

Q: How can you afford to eat all of that health food stuff?
A: After purchasing some initial staples, I have found that my monthly food bill has gone down dramatically. Initially I had to get some things like honey, organic sugar, natural peanut butter, and pure vanilla, for example, and that was a big bill, but know I just replenish the big ticket items when I run out of them. I have also cut money by not eating out.
E: Well, I know how expensive all that organic stuff is (Picture someone with their fingers in their ears saying, "lalalalalalalala!")

Q: How can you afford a gym membership?
A: I can't - I do the best I can at home. I have some DVDs, a stability ball and one set of dumbbells, and I walk the dog.
E: Oh, there isn't room in my house, I don't have any DVDs, and I don't have a dog.


So let me recap. I am a single mom, currently unemployed, and I live in a 1400 SF house. I have a pretty low income at this point, am very busy with two kids, job hunting and a business I am working to get off the ground. My kids have activities after school a couple of days a week, and I have obligations in the evenings too.

I do make nearly everything we eat from scratch, we eat high quality meat from local farmers that is hormone free and grass fed, and I buy organic when I can. We have a nice family dinner nearly every night of the week.

I work out at home 4 times a week, and am really looking forward to spring so I can take it outside.

I did NOT wait until after Christmas, after New Years, or after my best friend's brother's birthday to start. I started the day I got the book and decided to make a change in my life.

If I eat one bad meal, I try to do better the next meal. If circumstances are out of my control and I have limited options, I do the best that I can and get right back on the plan as soon as things are within my control.

I read every single label and if the food contains chemicals, it goes back on the shelf. I don't say, just this once or I don't have time to make that from scratch. I find a wholesome option or I do without it.

I spent a lot of years making excuses and all it did was get me up over 200 pounds. If you really want to change your life you have to do it immediately because the perfect time will never come. The opportunity isn't going to come knocking on your door. Make your decision to change your life and do it immediately - it's the only way.

No comments:

Post a Comment